Friday, January 1, 2010

Buenos Aires: Where to Stay


I’m still addicted. I’ll confess that for the past seven years, every spare travel moment I get, I book a flight on Lan Airlines to Buenos Aires, Argentina. It all started off as a “study year” in 2003, when I did my master’s in journalism in Buenos Aires.


But very slowly, the entire living experience started to seep into my alma (soul). I got sucked in. I found that I couldn’t get away from the city’s natural European
flare, strong Italian cappuccinos, late night dining and dancing, bodies and legs twisting together in a tango, and most of all, the warm porteño hospitality from Buenos Aires natives. Mi querida Argentina (my beloved Argentina)…
As you can see, per my mad Argentina travel addiction, I thought it would be only natural to have my first few posts in “Molly Malone’s Travel Tips” blog focus on Buenos Aires and Argentina. I regularly get the same five questions about Buenos Aires from friends and family (as well as from strangers I meet at parties and on the street). If you  are planning a trip there, see below for some helpful information. If you have any questions, just drop me a line!


Top five questions I get about Buenos Aires:
  • Where do I stay?
  • Where can I see a good tango show?
  • What overnight trips from Buenos Aires should I take if I have some extra time?
  • Where should I go to eat?
  • What sights do you think are a “must see” and where do I go to shop?
After pointing my friends to the travel article I wrote for the “Los Angeles Times” titled “In Buenos Aires the Living’s Easy,” my top recommendations for places to stay are posted below. REMEMBER: Stay tuned to my blog through January, as I’ll continue to give you weekly inside scoops on where to see intimate (and affordable) tango shows, go for overnight getaways, dine at highly recommended local eateries, and hit the “must see” sights and shopping spots when pressed for time.


Top Places To Stay
Five Cool Rooms: Located in the heart of trendy Palermo Soho, the Five Cool Rooms quaint hotel comes recommended by friends who enjoyed staying there. Cost: $120-$240/night
depending on the size of the room. The place is clean, small and the staff is friendly. There is a balcony for sunbathing and WiFi is available.





Located nearby, you can eat lunch at a bustling parrilla (restaurant specializing in Argentine beef) and have breakfast or afternoon tea at many charming outdoor cafés where a strong cup of café con leche (cappuccino) and a plate of medialunas (small croissants) costs roughly $5 total (remember to always tip 10%). The only drawback to staying in this neighborhood is that it’s far from the subway (nine blocks) and a 15-20 minute cab ride downtown, which will cost about $8 per trip. (Five Cool Rooms photos by Shannon Gomes.)


Marriot Plaza Hotel: This is a prime location, but pricey. Room rates range from $350-$600/night, but visit their Deals at this hotel page to find affordable last-minute prices for as low as $180/night. If a pristine, convenient and large hotel feel is what you’re aiming for, then the Marriot Plaza Hotel is where you’ll be most comfortable. You’re just steps away from the swanky Recoleta neighborhood and the famous Florida pedestrian walk street, which is known for its upscale leather shops.  Directly across from the hotel is the lush Plaza San Martin park, offering a bit of tranquility in the midst of the hectic downtown rush. When I was living there, I splurged and stayed a night at the Marriot, which ended up as one of the best evenings my life. I walked to the underground Jazz Voyeur Club to watch a live jazz gig, ate bife de lomo (filet mignon) around the corner at El Mirasol steak house, and finished the night lounging on sofas in the lush gardens of the Palacio Duhau Park Hyatt Hotel with a Fernet Branca nightcap in hand.


VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner): For those of you who are staying in Buenos Aires for more than a few days, there are great options for apartments rentals on the VRBO Web site. Just make sure that you pick an apartment located in the Barrio Norte or Recoleta neighborhoods (or Palermo Soho if you don’t mind cabbing it to downtown.) A four bedroom/two bath runs about $1200/week. Other recommended apartment rental sites are: Sibiaires, International Nest and ByT Argentina.


***All photos are taken by myself, Molly Malone, unless otherwise specified. Photos are not available for re-posting or publication. Stay tuned to next week's post on tango…





4 comments:

molly said...

Congrats, Molly! And great way to start off the new year!

Unknown said...

This is FAB! How helpful. I love the pics too. This will definitely help me the next time I'm heading down there!

Anonymous said...

Regarding where to stay, I think hotels in Buenos Aires are really expensive.
I rented an apartment in Palermo which was really nice and affordable.
Cheers

Anonymous said...

Hi Molly!
I also did a Master in Buenos Aires.
In my case it was a Master in Translation Skills.
I rented a Buenos Aires apartment very near my University which was really nice!
Cheers